Re-Committing to Yourself
June 1, 2017 by Cathy Brown
“Commitment is the glue that bonds you to your goals.” ~ Jill Koenig
I was sitting outside yesterday, watching my collies, “Leo” and “Zen” play with their best friend “Goose”, an Akita, Shepherd, Collie mix (looks more like a shepherd with a shorter nose) and enjoying the flowers I just planted when I started to think about what a beautiful time of year this is. About half way through 2017, and a great time to take stock of where I am in achieving this year’s goals and maybe re-committing my desires to accomplish them.
The foundation to of any commitment is a burning desire. Napoleon Hill writes in his book, Think and Grow Rich: “The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat.”
Patricia young, Life Coach and Metaphysical Teacher offers her 5 steps to renewing the commitment to yourself:
- 1. Get clarity on what you want and why – This will be your driving force and motivation. Knowing what we most desire to accomplish (or become) affects our lives in important ways. It impacts what we think about, and it changes the way we spend our time, our money, and our energy. Having clarity brings focus and commitment to our lives. When you don’t know what you want your intentions are scattered.
- 2. Create a plan – You will not be able to see your goals materialized if you don’t consciously commit and have the willingness, and courage, to do what needs to be done, and change what needs to be changed. So, ask yourself, “What needs to change so that I can achieve my goals?”.
- 3. Chunk it down! – get specific and make it happen! The secret is chunking things down to smaller steps…This is crucial because it is about the specific action steps you will take to achieve your goals. It’s about getting specific to avoid the “How am I ever going to achieve that?”, which tends to make us feel overwhelmed and stop us in our tracks. Remember, vague desires lead to vague results.
- 4. Show up, follow through, stay with it – When you are committed, you believe in your vision and have the willingness to show up every day,no matter what. And yes, there will be days in which you will question your progress, your success, and even if you’re on the right path, but know that committed people don’t give up, they learn from the mistakes and keep going.
- 5. Recognize the signs that you may be caught up in the “Shiny Object Syndrome” – Are you aware of how you get distracted? Find a way to assess new opportunities more quickly, decide and then stay focused and committed.
Also, setting boundaries with yourself and others is crucial. The key to successfully achieving your goals is understanding the importance of how to manage your priorities, your precious energy and your time.
Reviewing where you are regularly will help you stay on track and course-correct when needed. Very important… Celebrate your progress, no matter how small you think it is!
One more thing, don’t fall into the trap of comfort and safety, don’t hide behind your routine. To grow, expand and live life ON PURPOSE, we need to understand that commitment supersedes comfort. Living from that place is where we allow ourselves to shine our light, become an inspiration to others, and make a bigger difference in the world!
Let’s re-commit together to make our dreams become our reality.
“Committing is what transfers a promise into reality.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
I am clear and focused on my goals and follow my plan daily
I break down the large tasks into smaller achievable steps
“Imagine how you would feel if you knew you could create life however you wanted.”
That’s the power of Life Coaching
Are you looking to…
Gain Balance and Clarity?
Reconnect with who you really are?
Need Help Personally or Professionally?
Cathy is here to help with focused, individualized, guidance, acting as your trusted coach/mentor and accountability partner. Using spiritual and real life strategies, transformation is not only possible, it’s happening every day.
If you are seriously committed to creating the life you want, please contact Cathy at email@example.com to set up a FREE consultation.